Tuesday 15 November 2011

My 'personal' Top Ten for Tuesday

As promised, my personal top ten of the week. This week I'm dedicating my Top Ten to the Ten Best TV shows currently on TV (of which I have been watching, am currently watching or looking forward to watch!)


 1) Frozen Planet (BBC) One - this breathtaking documentary series, looking into the Arctic and Antarctic, provides stunning scenery and visuals in another successful David Attenborough series. I predict plenty of awards next year.

2) Strictly Come Dancing (BBC One) - So it's no secret that I adore Strictly. The judges, the sequins, the celebrities, and of course, the dancing cement Strictly as the best reality series in the UK. The fact that it's beating the X Factor in the ratings is bittersweet to!

3) Freshmeat (Channel 4) - OK, so surprisingly a comedy starring Jack Whitehall has actually made me laugh. The plot is bizarre and the characters are perplexing - but that only adds to the excitement as you watch each episode. Nice to see some genuinely funny British comedy on the box.

4) Death in Paradise (BBC One) - Now I had my doubts, but this cop-turned-spy drama is actually quite good, and provides a softer, more peaceful programme to some of the other grittier dramas on British channels. If you like your spy/ mystery drama, this is for you (although some of it you might compare to Benidorm!)

5) Young Apprentice (BBC One) - Alan Sugar really is the boss, or should I say Lord Sugar. Although this series isn't as good as the normal Apprentice, it still makes for great viewing. To be honest, those tiny words of 'You're fired' still get me every time!

6) The Mentalist (Channel 5) - I've not really watched the other series, so it's been a little confusing to follow, but so far I'm enjoying this American import, possibly the only thing I do enjoy on Channel 5. It's clever, it's professional and it's compelling. Try it for yourselves.

7) Eastenders (BBC One) - Running out of ideas...but Eastenders is the only soap I watch regularly. Why? I'm not sure either. I guess it's the way cockney twang, the Queen Vic pub and Janine Butcher get my heart racing! I'll admit storylines are getting tiresome and far-fetched, but with Christmas around the corner, the soap will soon hot up again (in more ways than one, or so the soap mags keep telling me!)

And finally, three shows I'm desperate to watch (but haven't yet):

8) The Middle (Sky One) - this show really is comedy gold. Another American import, I'm shocked and saddenned that so many people have not heard of this show. It never fails to make me laugh. It replaces the gap left by shows such as Malcolm in the Middle and My Family, with its tales of a dysfunctional family living in the middle of the US. Comedy gold!

9) Pan Am (BBC Two) - the publicity for this show has been driving me wild, ever since I saw Donna from Neighbours was leading the story of the Pan Am airline. With more glamour than Mad Men, I can't wait for the series premier tomorrow (at 9pm). Fasten your seat belts, if you care to join me!

10) Glee (Sky One) - my guilty pleasure, which was sadly taken away from me by BSkyB earlier this year. It's been tricky not being able to catch up on my weekly intake of McKinley High, and so unsurprisingly the Series 3 boxset tops my Christmas list this year. Although if it's like season 2, which went downhill for me, I'm hoping Santa has kept his receipt.

Pictures Courtesy of Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment